I needed a couple URLs that were active and returned some content for creating some demo code in jQuery
. I thought about modifying an existing ASP.NET MVC application to allow it to create the JSON I wanted to send to my jQuery code.
Just as I was about to open up Visual Studio, I realized that I could probably do what I wanted to do using Ruby and Sinatra. Rather than modifying, or even worse, creating an entire .Net application and compiling it, I wrote about 27 lines of Ruby and typed one command into the command prompt. Boom! I had a web server up and running with 2 URLs I could use with my jQuery sample code.